In the last few years, there has been an increase in demand for both invasive and non-invasive cosmetic procedures. Even the techniques being used are advanced to ensure the clients get good results. According to Forbes, the US has the biggest beauty market, followed by China and Japan.
The world economy may face challenges, but the beauty business will likely hold its own. That’s because cosmetic surgery makes people feel and look attractive and confident. Also, unlike in the past, when it was just women who would pursue cosmetic surgery, today, men can also undergo certain procedures to enhance their looks.
Cosmetic Surgery Has Grown Thanks to Fashion, Media, and Film Influences
Cosmetic surgery allows one to alter their features from head to toe, which is why there’s been a demand increase. But this rise in demand can be highly attributed to fashion, media, and film influences. One will see a celebrity with an ideal nose and decide they want something similar.
In fact, you don’t even need to look like one celebrity. One has the freedom to cherry-pick different features from different celebrities and achieve the body they like. You can go to facialplasticsurgeryinstitute.com to arrange a consultation with a surgeon and explain the features you want.
Which Celebrities Do Most People Request?
While everyone has their tastes, cosmetic surgeons agree that certain requests are more popular than others. Some common requests from female patients include:
- Kim Kardashian – buttocks
- Kate Middleton –nose
- Kate Bosworth – chin
- Scarlett Johansson – lips
- Olivia Munn – eyes
Men also have their own preferences, but the most common requests include:
- George Clooney – cheeks
- Ryan Gosling – square jawline
- Justin Bieber – hair transplants
If you talk to surgeons, they’ll inform you that they get such requests every time a patient walks through their door. And that’s okay. But before insisting on looking like a particular celeb, it’s wise to listen to your surgeon first. The goal of cosmetic surgery should be to enhance your features, bringing out the best in you.
In addition, the procedure you want may not complement your other body features. For instance, you may want a button nose, but that only makes your face look imbalanced.
Listen to the surgeon as they have your best interest at heart and want you to look good. After all, if you look good, it is great for their business.
If the procedure you want isn’t right, they’ll explain why you should reconsider. Aside from human cosmetic surgery, pet plastic surgery is also popular, with a huge number of Americans taking their pets to get different procedures.
Statistics on the Business of Cosmetic Surgery
Here are some statistics that support just how big the cosmetic surgery business is.
- In 2014, Americans spent $2,475,908,568 on Botox alone. That was a 748% increase since 2000.
- Since 2010, there has been a 33%+ increase in male breast reduction procedures.
- In 2014, there was an 86%+ increase in buttock augmentations procedures.
- Half the people who go for cosmetic surgery procedures are repeat customers.
- Justin Jedica, a 34-year-old popularly known as the human doll, has undergone more than 250 procedures.
- One in every 20 women in the US has undergone some form of cosmetic surgery.
- Men are responsible for about 39% of google searches about plastic surgery.
- In 2011, several US dog owners spent about $62 million on plastic surgery for their pets.
- Certain cosmetic procedures are more popular within particular age brackets. Facelift is common among 65-year-olds and above, while liposuction is popular among people aged between 35 to 64. Breast augmentation is more popular among 19 to 34-year-olds.
Here’s What You Should Know Before Undergoing Cosmetic Surgery
With this business booming, you’ve probably considered undergoing a procedure or two. But before doing that, here are a couple of things you need to know.
Have Realistic Expectations
Cosmetic surgery is likely to improve your appearance and boost your confidence. But that doesn’t automatically mean it will get you a higher-paying job, a certain type of partner, or a satisfying life. Surgery can alter certain features and make you look good, but it doesn’t promise to automatically change your life.
Be Patient After the Procedure
Don’t expect to look perfect immediately after the procedure. The bruising and swelling take a couple of weeks to die down as your skin adapts to the procedure. Ask the surgeon for post-procedure care tips and what to expect.
Choose a Good Facility and a Qualified Surgeon
The surgeon and facility you choose will determine the results. While there are many surgeons and facilities out here, not all of them are great. Research the surgeon and ensure they are accredited, and their facility is well equipped.
Thanks to the cosmetic surgery business, people can have their looks enhanced and their confidence restored. But before you undergo any procedure, understand that this is something you do for yourself and not a parent or partner. With that in mind, it becomes easier to get a procedure that is right for you.